In April 2012, the school opened with support from the then Education Minister, Jay Weatherall, with the name, Felixstow Community School. This recognised the value of providing public educational choices for families which were built upon the philosophies and progressive education pedagogies of the Rose Park Family Unit. The shared aim and purpose was to provide progressive educational opportunities within the public school system.
The school was originally founded on a set of agreed principles and beliefs which continue to underpin the basic philosophy of our school today.
- Child centered learning
- Social development as a critical contributor to academic success
- Problem solving and discovery/inquiry learning
- Cross age learning and mutual support between different ages
- Placing high value on all individuals and striving to empower young people in a way that promotes respect for themselves and others regardless of age, gender, cultural background, appearance, religion and level of individual achievement
- Child/caregivers/staff collaboration for each child’s learning journey
On the 4th of December 2012 Felixstow Community School was officially opened by Premier Jay Weatherill.
After many changes and developments over the years the Governing Council, based on feedback from families and the local community applied to have the school name changed to Felixstow Primary School. This became the offical name of the school as of the 1st January 2023.
The school continues to focus on progressive education practices and current educational research from around the world to inform our practice.